I2P version 0.7.6 contains additional fixes for network stability issues related to tunnel building and connection limits. While the 0.7.5 release greatly improved the congestion that appeared UTC evenings and weekends, it was not eliminated; this release should improve the situation further.
This version also has new console themes by dr|z3d, which may be selected on the new UI configuration page. Sorry, the new themes are not available for IE browsers.
The default tunnel length variance is changed from 1 to 0. This mainly affects exploratory tunnels and iMule. As explained on zzz.i2p, a non-zero variance adds very little protection, at great cost in resources. Should you wish to reconfigure your exploratory settings back to the old variance of 1, or change to length 3 variance 0, you may do so on the config tunnels page. iMule settings are best changed within that application.
I2P now stores temporary data in the system temp directory (generally /var/tmp on Linux and %TEMP% on Windows). For new installs only, user data is in $HOME/.i2p on Linux/Mac and %APPDATA%\I2P on Windows.
The release contains several changes to reduce resource usage (memory, CPU, and connections) and the usual assortment of bug fixes. Upgrading is recommended.
This is the first release built and signed by zzz. Thanks again to Complication for his many contributions to the project over the past five years. I2P is undergoing the most rapid development in years. Please give the developers feedback on IRC #i2p or forum.i2p2.de and get involved!
Connection Limits and related congestion
- Split the limiting actions into three thresholds (75%, 81%, and 87%) instead of all happening at 80%, for better control, and to save the drastic actions for the higher thresholds.
- Other minor changes, perhaps temporary, to improve tunnel build success.
- Change default tunnel length variance to zero, to help iMule and exploratory build success. As explained elsewhere on this site, this will have a negligible affect on anonymity. Should you wish to keep a variance of 1 for a particular tunnel pool, change it back on configtunnels.jsp or in i2ptunnel, or the iMule config.
- Make shared clients tunnels reduce-on-idle for new installs.
- Expire peer profiles quicker and display less, to reduce memory use.
- Use StringBuilder throughout, faster than StringBuffer
- Reduce stats coalesce frequency, this is a big CPU user
- Allocate much less memory on first startup
- Remove more unused classes
- More fixes related to UPnP, recognition of firewalls and changing firewall conditions, and address changes.
- Wait until the console is up before launching browser.
- New console, i2psnark, susimail, susidns, and proxy error page themes by dr|zed
- Console themes are selectable on configui.jsp.
- Console themes not available for IE users.
- Fixes for Opera
- Serve css and image files at the reserved proxy.i2p address, to better display the error pages when the user is on a different machine.
- For new installs, code and data will be split into different directories. Data (router files, config files, i2psnark files, eepsite files, etc.) will be in ~/.i2p on linux and %APPDATA%\I2P on Windows. The code directory can be read-only to the user (although the user will not be able to update in that case). On linux, the shell scripts i2prouter, runplain.sh, and eepget can be moved to a directory such as /usr/bin. All assumptions that files are in the current working directory are removed. Don't launch the router anymore in the install scripts on linux.
- For existing installs, about the only visible change will be a few temporary files now in the Java temporary directory (e.g. /var/tmp on linux) instead of $I2P.
- Move the reseeder from the routerconsole to the router, for easier embedding of the router in other code (e.g. android, iMule)
6d5d3b9feee1f827e25c896bdc12553a5133816e0bf705a5d9dffe099685245a i2pinstall_0.7.6.exe 05c16c78670ebcadb401509a0b46010e8d3ef2644bce3bc62f96751368e24402 i2psource_0.7.6.tar.bz2 e799ef916871c12d0c53ade577fe2ab89feb138589b9dd312a38f35f31c45bff i2pupdate_0.7.6.zip e4605534e5accec9956c2204c547486ad5a3cca57597f2a44665c49cdf9dede3 i2pupdate.sud